Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cubs Dynasty Begins


There it is! The Cubs WIN flag flying proudly over the deck of Enee Marie. Why? Because yesterday the Cubs clinched the Central Division of the NL for the second year in a row. For those of you not from Chicago, they fly a W flag like this one above the scoreboard when the Cubs win. I used to get off the EL at Addison Street on my way home from work (I drove the submarine at the Museum of Science and Industry) and anxiously peek around the corner of Addison and Sheffield to see if the W was flying (back then, rarely!). Now it’s on to the playoffs and our first World Series since 1945 and our first World Series WIN since, get ready. . .

1908!

Here's a short list of some stuff that hadn't happened yet when the Cubs last won the World Series...

  • The Titanic hadn’t sunk (or sailed yet)
  • No world wars yet
  • IN 1908 Henry Ford started (literally) cranking out cars
  • Income tax wasn’t invented yet
  • Women couldn’t vote yet (who changed THAT?)
  • Nucleus of the atom not discovered for another year
  • No TV
  • No Wrigley Field. . . the WS was played at West Side Park bounded by Congress, Harrison, Loomis, and Throop streets in Chicago.Yes, this is the 100th anniversary for our last championship and this is the longest record in any professional sport. No matter. This is the year. Bet the farm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drove the submarine? I thought that was Ruth's job. K

Anonymous said...

Ever since I was told about your blog I have not missed an espisode any of your exciting tales at sea. I think is so great for you guys to be able to live the life at sea. I love sailboats and know a little bit about them and loved sailing with and ex-friend who taught me how wonderful life is on a sailboat. Unfortunately after 12 years we are no longer together and I do miss being able to sail and to enjoy being aboard. The life you both have is what I wanted for him and myself but it sees that it isn't going to be. I would have desired for him to really go for adventure from island to island but the trips were just around the Spanish Virgin islands, St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola and back to Fajardo.. It is such a pity that though he loves saling and his boat he just didn't seem to get it together. So many wonderful places to see and how great it would have been. Sailboats were meant for sailing and exploring and enjoying...it is truly a unique experience. When I read about your blog, I savor your happiness and your adventures. Thanks for sharing and may God bless in your travels. Good luck with the Cubs.